Online jewelry stores built on Shopify are websites that allow customers to browse and purchase jewelry from the comfort of their own homes. Jewelry helps us mark the most important moments in our lives, symbolizes our deepest commitments, and serves as a totem of our personal style. Websites selling jewelry should offer new engaging ways to experience their products and achieve ease of use for its visitors through its design. Buying jewelry online is often an intimidating (and precious) category. Sometimes, customers don’t feel comfortable buying such a high-value item online, so they forgo the purchase. In this blog post, we will guide merchants with tips, best practices and examples to ensure their website will successfully sell jewelry online to customers.
Jewelry online stores typically offer a wide range of jewelry, including rings, earrings, necklaces, and bracelets, made from a variety of materials such as gold, silver, and gemstones. Many online jewelry stores also offer custom design services, allowing customers to create their own unique pieces of jewelry. One of the benefits of shopping for jewelry online is the convenience. Customers can easily browse and compare different pieces of jewelry from the comfort of their own homes, without having to visit multiple physical stores. Online jewelry stores also often offer a wider range of products than brick-and-mortar stores, making it easier for customers to find exactly what they are looking for.
Another advantage of shopping for jewelry online is the ability to compare prices and read customer reviews before making a purchase. Many online jewelry stores provide detailed descriptions and high-quality photographs of their products, making it easy for customers to get a good idea of what they are buying. In addition, customer reviews and ratings can provide valuable insight into the quality and customer service of a particular online jewelry store.
Overall, online jewelry stores offer a convenient and often more affordable way to shop for jewelry. Women have limited opportunities to organically discover inspiring jewelry options. The jewelry brands that challenge people’s expectations are the ones that stand out, creating richer and more nuanced worlds that keep offering something else to discover. Wearing jewelry celebrates the uniqueness of a woman and her individual story. With a wide range of products and the ability to compare prices and read customer reviews, shopping for jewelry online can be a great experience for customers.
Designing your online jewelry store can be a fun and exciting process, while also daunting. There are so many factors to consider, from the colors, messaging, fonts you choose, layout, to features and options. Below, we will go over tips, best practices and our favorite online jewelry store design examples to help inspire and inform you as you embark on building and launch your Shopify website.
Tips for Online Jewelry Stores
- “Complete the look” suggestions on PDP (upsells that are relevant to product)
Example: Story Jewellery has a feature on their product page to encourage customers to browse suggested products
- Upsells in Mini Cart with complementary products to help boost average over value.
- Shipping and returns policy near call to actions, floating/sticky add to cart on mobile and desktop so CTA stays visible as customer browses.
- A Mega Menu is a type of expandable menu in which many links are displayed in a two-dimensional dropdown layout. They are an excellent design choice for accommodating a large number of options or for revealing lower-level site pages at a glance. For more information about the benefits of a mega menu, please read this article by leading eCommerce UX research firm NNGroup.
Example: Anita Ko Jewelry has a great mega menu that illustrates their product categories with images that help users select the right option for optimal browsing. The mega menu is displayed via hover.
- Product content blocks for brand-defining products.
- Emphasized CTA’s, make add to cart button “pop” with a bold color so customers are inclined to click.
- Press highlights/customer testimonials on PDPs.
- Customer photos, also called user-generated content, so customers can view the product in different and more natural contexts.
- Detailed descriptions with technical information about the products materials, while also featuring the single most compelling statement about the product.
- Include high-quality product photos. Good photos help customers see exactly what they're getting before they buy it! Make sure your product photos are clear, well-lit, and taken from multiple angles—not just one angle that doesn't show off all the detail in the piece.
- Use the "related products" feature to show customers similar items that might interest them.
Best Practices for Online Jewelry Stores
- Find and showcase jewelry in clear lighting, but also contextually (organic photos, also called editorial)
- Helping people understand how to wear their jewelry and give confidence to buy (styling)
- Explaining why the jewelry is interesting/where they come from (storytelling / education)
- Make your variant options clear. In PDPs, the variants (clickable options) should be bordered making it obvious for the customers to click. In order to prevent customers getting "errors" trying to add things to cart because they didn't know there were variables to click. Make the variable options obvious so now customers are adding more to cart.
- Provide personal service, hand-holding/white-glove. You can do this via email, or chat customer service options like Gorgias, Tidio or Zendesk
- Deliver and make sure shipment delivery is consistent, predictable, quick so customers can start enjoying and feel assured. You can do this via shipment estimators on the product page.
- Provide trust & confidence around purchase (returns, financing)
Shopify Jewelry Online Store Design Inspiration
1. Pamela Love
About: Pamela Love founded her eponymous jewelry line out of her Brooklyn home in 2007. Her earliest designs stemmed from a lifelong fascination with astrology, tarot, and folklore. Fluent in the visual language of symbols, Pamela explores jewelry from a point of storytelling. Informed by travel, the brand’s signature celestial, spiritual, and terrestrial motifs celebrate the ritual of wearing jewelry.
2. At Present
About: We called our company At Present because we believe deeply in the importance of celebrating where you are right now. The present isn’t perfect. But it never is and that is part of its beauty. Life is not about singular moments or impossibly high places, it’s about the journey and stopping to mark your own victories.
Disclaimer: site designed by Exhibea
3. Foundrae (Exhibea Favorite)
About: The FoundRae Collection, which is more than jewelry; they are modern heirlooms, ones that allow the wearer to express something of oneself to the world. The FoundRae collection is intended to become part of the wearer, a second skin, to be an expression of identity and of personal values.
5. Pollywales (Exhibea Favorite)
About: Their Los Angeles-based studio has now grown to encompass a small, extraordinarily passionate team of skilled goldsmiths and wax sculptors—all trained to Polly’s equally anarchic and exacting vision. Their collective goal is simple. Polly Wales exists to champion jewelry as a way to channel creativity and maintain freedom.
6. Ring Concierge
About: Ring Concierge is the leading luxury jeweler committed to designing for women, by women. Founded by Nicole Wegman in 2013, Ring Concierge has consistently scaled its growth year-over-year by strategically utilizing social media to successfully blur the lines between retailer and influencer.
7. Aroz Jewelry
About: Since they were little, Laura and Paola have been fascinated by their mother’s jewellery. Captivated by what shines and passionate about the little details and design, they found themselves, at a very young age, making pearl necklaces for their relatives. Jewellery box as a toy box, the materials, shapes and colours adorn their necks and are threaded through their children’s fingers. Play leads to instinct, their tastes are refined to the point of overflowing with ideas.
About: Cartier, whose name is synonymous with open-mindedness and curiosity, sees beauty in everything. Creativity, freedom, sharing and excellence are all central to its values. This vision enables a creative territory that is shaped around a unique style. From jewelry and fine jewelry to watchmaking and perfumes: Cartier’s creations symbolize the fusion of exceptional savoir-faire and timelessness.
9. Oui by Jean Dousset
About: As the great-great grandson of iconic jeweler Louis Cartier, Jean Dousset was born with an impeccable taste for rare gems, craftsmanship, and artistry. In 2010, Jean opened his eponymous jewelry company where he solidified his credibility and designs, but he always knew making his creations accessible to a wider clientele was a priority. Enter: Oui by Jean Dousset.
10. Mejuri (Exhibea Favorite)
About: We believe in jewelry as an expression of self, and how you show up in the world should have no limits. That’s why we work with master jewelers to create pieces that feel like you — to mean what you want, wear how you want, and keep forever. Our jewelry is made to live in, designed in-house with craftsmanship and responsible sourcing at the cornerstone of it all.
11. Marla Aaron
About: We make jewelry and other objects in New York City. They are beautiful and people seem to love them. Marla launched the collection in 2012 when her combined obsessions with bridges, hardware and jewelry could no longer be ignored. What began with one lock is now an entire collection designed to be worn in infinite ways.
12. August & June
About: Jewelry isn’t about utility, it’s about celebration. August & June makes it simple to gift a loved one or yourself to celebrate any day and every day. Because sparkle shouldn’t just be limited to birthdays or special occasions.
Disclaimer: site designed by Exhibea
13. Logal Hollowell
About: Logan Hollowell Jewelry is handcrafted in Los Angeles using 14k and 18k recycled gold, ethically sourced gemstones from around the world. Each piece is created by artisan goldsmiths with handpicked gemstones based on the intuition and feeling that Logan receives from the stone and its beauty.
14. Anne Sisteron
About: Born in Paris to Danish diplomat parents, designer Anne Sisteron established her taste for timeless jewelry and exquisite craftsmanship from an early age. Her worldly upbringing exposed her to international design and defined her classic, yet modern identity. Many of her original designs have been inspired by her time spent traveling and the memories she collected around the world.
15. Tiffany & Co (Exhibea Favorite)
About: A fine jewelry brand offering modern heirlooms designed to last a lifetime! Kinn's mission is to restore the thoughtfulness and intangible value behind fine jewelry. Paired with education and transparency in the supply chain, Kinn pieces are meant to last through generations. Today, tomorrow and years to come.
About: Bhansali is a fine jewelry company creating modern heirlooms and custom pieces in limited quantities. We are available only through private appointments, our intimate events and select retail partners like Bergdorf Goodman. Our bold and beautiful pieces are a celebration of what makes us special — the inherent traits that make us both individually different and in unison, strong. And then together we make the world beautiful by giving back.
Looking for more inspiration for jewelry shopify store design? Check out these links:
Vogue — Need to Know Now: The Vogue Jewelry Team’s Favorite Jewelry Brands: https://www.vogue.com/article/best-jewelry-brands
We Make Websites — 31 of the Best Jewellery Website Design Examples: https://wemakewebsites.com/blog/31-of-the-best-jewellery-website-design-examples/Cosmopolitan— 50 of the Best Jewelry Brands That'll Up Your Accessory Game: www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/fashion/g27467929/best-jewelry-brands/
To conclude, as a merchant you want to ensure that your site showcases your jewelry in the best possible way. The design of your online jewelry store is one of the most important decisions you will make when starting your new jewelry brand and business on Shopify.